• Eligibility Certification

    All schools participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and/or School Breakfast Program (SBP) must make free and reduced price meals available to eligible children and all schools and institutions participating in the free milk option of the Special Milk Program (SMP) must make free milk available to eligible children.

    FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) for Parents and Guardians

    Children need healthy meals to learn. Decatur Public Schools offers healthy meals every school day. We sponsor a "Universal Breakfast" which means that every student will be served breakfast at NO COST. Students may buy lunch at Davis Elementary for $2.00 and Lunch at Middle School and High School for $2.30 - $2.55. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. We sell reduced price lunches for $0.40.

    If a doctor has determined that your child has a disability, and the disability would prevent the child from eating the regular school meal, the school will make any substitution prescribed by a licensed physician at no extra charge. The physician's statement, including prescribed diet and/or substitution, must be submitted to the food service department at your school. For further information, please call Food Service director: Kyle Dumkow at 269-423-6811.

    Frequently Asked Questions:

    1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? No. Complete the application to apply for free and reduced price school meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Family Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Decatur Public Schools.


    2. Who can get free meals? Children in households getting Food Assistance Program (FAP), Family Independence Program (FIP), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

    3. Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals? Please call Stacy Ritchie (269-423-6800) the homeless liaison or migrant coordinator to see if your child(ren) qualify if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.

    4. Who can get reduced price meals? Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Guidelines Chart.

    5. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced price meals? Please read the letter you got carefully and follow any instructions if provided. Call the school at 269-423-6811 if you have questions.

    6. My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

    7. I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. An application must be filled out by WIC households.

    8. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we may ask you to send written proof of any information provided on the application.

    9. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your house-hold size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting FAP, FIP, FDPIR, or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.

    10. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Superintendent Patrick Creagan, 110 Cedar Street, Decatur, Mi 49045 or call her at 269-423-6800.


    11. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your child(ren)do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

    12. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relative, or friends), including yourself and all children who live with you.

    13. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.

    14. We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance as income? If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income.

    15. What if my child does not have health insurance? Your children may qualify for low cost or free health insurance through MIChild and Healthy Kids Program. To apply online, go to MDHHS - MIChild Brochure or call 1-888-988-6300 for help or to request a paper application.

    16. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is her combat pay counted as income? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment and it wasn’t received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

    17. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-481-4989.